2019-06-03 // New Music Friday Monday: Deezer’s Radar Weekly [Lauv, Petit Biscuit, dodie]
It’s New Music Friday Monday, and we’re checking out some do-it-yourself artists on Deezer’s Radar Weekly playlist with 141K global fans........chartmetric.com @chartmetric #newmusicfridaymonday #musicindustry #business #data #nerdout #analysis
- It’s New Music Friday Monday, and we’re checking out some do-it-yourself artists on Deezer’s Radar Weekly playlist with 141K global fans.
- Good morning, it’s Jason here at Chartmetric with your 3-minute Data Dump where we upload charts, artists, and playlists into your brain so you can stay up on the latest in the music data world.
- This is your Data Dump for Monday, June 3rd, 2019.
- New Music Friday Monday: Deezer’s Radar Weekly DIY artists
- Welcome back to the work week!
- Today we’re checking out not Spotify’s “New Music Friday” nor Apple’s “Best of the Week”, but Deezer’s Radar Weekly playlist with 40 new releases.
- Taking the top three playlist positions are the 808-driven track “Mother’s Daughter” from Miley Cyrus and Sony, the electropop record “Never Really Over” from Katy Perry and Universal and then the mid-tempo “Find U Again” track by Mark Ronson and Camila Cabello, also from Sony.
- But as Radar Weekly is Deezer’s 149th most followed playlist, these leading positions might not mean much to Deezer’s wider audience...the platform’s most popular playlists are geographic-specific featuring more domestic repertoire.
- So even though Radar Weekly is self-described as having the “biggest new releases of the week”, Deezer’s listeners seem to prefer music that speaks to their own culture without outside influence.
- However, since this playlist’s 141K fans probably come to Radar Weekly for more of a global sound, we thought it’d be worth checking out some DIY artists who also prefer doing their own thing, without the influence of a label.
- So in the #8 slot is DIY pop star Lauv living up to the sadboi persona with the melancholy anthem “Sad Forever,” marking the 2nd single off of his upcoming sophomore LP, “How I’m Feeling.”
- On Spotify, Lauv has a Popularity Index of 88 out of 100 and 26M Monthly Listeners, and remains an independent artist thanks to a licensing deal with Kobalt’s AWAL.
- Check out the mostly Asian-driven playlist evolution of his 2017 hit track “I Like Me Better” in a recent article we’ve written in the show notes.
- In the 23rd spot on Radar Weekly is “We Were Young,” by French DJ and music producer Petit Biscuit, who self releases his music on his own label, aptly titled Petit Biscuit Music.
- His soul-infused tropical house comes from a mind only 19 years old, already collecting some 320K Deezer fans, with a Spotify Popularity of 77 out of 100.
- Last but not least is dodie, an English singer-songwriter and YouTuber who also self-releases her music, including the minimal-sounding and intimate track “Guiltless” in the #30 position this week.
- She’s racked up over 8K Deezer fans, over 1M Twitter and IG followers and over 1.8M YouTube subscribers, sans label.
- So while major pop stars might seem to outshine the do-it-yourselfers at the top of playlists like Deezer’s Radar Weekly, take a chance and hit shuffle play, cause you just might find a few new DIY artists to follow.
- That’s it for your Daily Data Dump for Monday, June 3rd, 2019. This is Jason from Chartmetric.
- Free accounts are at app.chartmetric.com/signup
- And article links and show notes are at: podcast.chartmetric.com
- Happy Monday, see you tomorrow!